Recipe for Victoria Sandwich
200g caster sugar
200g softened butter
4 eggs, beaten
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
For the filling
100g butter, softened
140g icing sugar, sifted
drop vanilla extract (optional)
170g strawberry jam
icing sugar, to decorate
1. Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas5. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat 200g caster sugar, 200g softened butter, 4 beaten eggs, 200g self-raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 2 tbsp milk mixed together untIl you have a smooth, soft batter.
3. Divide the mixture between the tins, smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
4. Bake for about 20 mins until golden and the cake springs back when pressed.
5. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
6. To make the filling, beat the 100g softened butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in 140g sifted icing sugar and drop of vanilla extract (If you're using it).
7. Spread the buttercream over the bottom of one of the sponges. Top it up with 170g strawberry jam and sandwich the second sponge on top.